Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I'm in love...

Yes, my Sweet & Sassy friends and fam, it's true... I'm in LOVE!!  Today officially marks the 1 year anniversary of my move from Orange County to San Diego, and in every way possible, San Diego has completely stolen my heart.

I'm in LOVE with the energy in the city.  Just steps from my front door leads the way to the lights, sounds, and excitement of Downtown Gaslamp.

I'm in LOVE with the people.  San Diegans share my crazy passion for food.  Everyone I've met here has gushed in detail over a unique dish at a local hole in the wall, or offered a laundry list of restaurants that "you MUST try."  San Diegans are fiends for good food, and just my kind of people!

I'm in LOVE with each little neighborhood that has its own culture, flavor, and unique beat.  Little Italy with its quaint cafes and one of a kind restaurants.  Normal Heights, home to Blind Lady Ale House, my all-time favorite bacon and runny egg yolk pizza, and vast selection of craft beers.  Clairemont Mesa is my taste of home, the go-to neighborhood to fulfill cravings for all things Asian.

I'm most in LOVE with the farmers markets here in San Diego.  I love waking up on a gorgeous Saturday morning, taking the trolley into Little Italy, where I can wander the farmers market for hours.  Soaking in the sunshine, reveling in the gorgeous fresh fruits, veggies, and artisanal breads, handmade cured salamis and more...  I'm in sheer heaven tasting and trying every sample I can get my hands on!  Witnesses can attest to my shameless eagerness and quick reach for a sample of a summer-ripe juicy peach or rich aged gouda.

Here's a peek at some of my favorite farmer's market finds...

Everything at the Farmer's Market is grown or made with LOVE.
The orange and tangerine colors of these golden beets are so vibrant.
Radishes are one of my favorite salad additions. Look around for watermelon radishes, they're beautiful. 
Sea Urchin or Uni, as it you may find it on a sushi menu, is one of my favorite treasures of the sea. The spines of this prickly sea creature were literally moving just minutes before he became my lunch!
The bright yellow color is a great indicator its incredible sweetness and slight salinity.  The more amber or orange the sea urchin is, the more bitter/nutty it'll taste. At $10 each, this is an incredible experience and steal of a deal.
A variety of fresh oysters and clams are shucked just minutes before consumption, and can be served rockefeller, on the half shell, as shooters, or grilled. I prefer my shellfish simply dressed with a squeeze of lime and dash of tobasco.

Tamarindo, Horchata, and Pineapple, Watermelon, and Kiwi Aguas Frescas to suite every taste or mood.
Organic eggs available by the dozen, each unique in varying shades of white, ivory, and brown.
How gorgeous are these purple artichokes?

These gems are the perfect topper to my morning oatmeal or yogurt.
Heirloom Tomatoes are hands down my favorite summer fruit/veggie. Each varietal with its own distinct flavors, some sweeter, some more acidic, but each one so delicious. I love to pick a rosy pink and yellow varietal, serve it sliced beside a creamy burrata, and drizzled with an aged balsamic. Can you taste the rainbow?


In just under a year, San Diego has truly made indelible mark on my heart.  If you haven't had the opportunity to do so yet, make your way down the coast and meet my new love.  I'll see you at the farmer's market. ;)

XOXO,
    Sweets & Sass

No comments:

Post a Comment